Here's a solution for churches:
- Allocate $1,000 from your church budget to be spent $250 each quarter (feel free to allocate more, it just depends on the size of your staff)
- Divide your staff into four groups and assign each group a quarter of the year.
- Each group is tasked with finding something fun, creative, and new for the staff to do and they've got a budget of $250. It may cost a little more and then each staff person might have to chip in a couple of bucks, but try very, very hard to not make this an expense for the staff.
- Find one day each quarter when the church is closed for a "staff development day" (if you can only do a half day, that is okay, too)
- Then, close the church, put a volunteer on the switchboard, and go have fun. Once you do this a few times, it will begin to change the way the staff interacts with each other. They will recall fun times, goofs by each other and themselves, etc.
- This will create memories that are NOT church or work related. The staff will have something to talk about other than work. This will create a much healthier work environment.
- Painted pottery
- Tour of a local historical site
- Team Hide & Seek in a mall
- Ropes course
- Kayaking or canoeing
- Frisbee golf
- Scavenger hunt
- Raking leaves for a shut-in
- Habitat for Humanity home build
Go have FUN with your staff!